Elections in key countries of the world
Inauguration of U.S. President Barack Obama will be the first major event in 2013, a year marked by elections in Israel, Tunisia, Iran and Pakistan, as well as in Italy and Germany.
- 20 and 21 – WASHINGTON: Oath by President Barack Obama, followed in the next day, by his inauguration marks the beginning of the second term of the 44th U.S. president.
- 22 – ISRAEL: early parliamentary elections after dissolving the Israeli Parliament in October, where incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is the big favorite in an atmosphere of regional tensions.
- 23 – JORDAN: early parliamentary elections after the dissolution of Parliament by King Abdullah II.
- 7-17 – BERLIN: The 63rd Berlinale – International Film Festival in Berlin. Chinese director Wong Kar Wai is president of the jury.
- 24 – HOLLYWOOD (USA): The 85th Academy Awards ceremony of the film.
-24 And 25 – ITALY: early parliamentary elections.
- 4 – KENYA: General elections (presidential and parliamentary), an election that promises to be tense, the past elections degenerated into violence on a unprecedented scale in 2007-2008.
- 15-26 – CANNES (France): The 66th film festival.
- PAKISTAN: legislative elections, seen as a major test for democracy in this country, where three civil governments were removed by coup, after the establishment of the State in 1947.
- 14 – Iran Presidential Elections to appoint the successor of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- 15-30: BRAZIL: Confederations Football Cup.
- 17 and 18 – NORTHERN IRELAND / UK: G8 Summit
- 23 – TUNISIA: Presidential and legislative elections (2nd round is scheduled for July 7) after the adoption of the new Constitution.
- July 19 to August 4 – BARCELONA (Spain): World Swimming Championships.
- 23 to 28 – RIO DE JANEIRO (Brazil): World Youth Day (WYD) in the presence of Pope Benedict XVI.
- 10-18 – MOSCOW: World Athletics Championship in Moscow.
- July 28-September 7 – VENICE (Italy): The 70th Mostra Film Festival.
- GERMANY: legislative elections. Christian Democrat Chancellor Angela Merkel, running for a third term.
- STOCKHOLM / OSLO (Sweden / Norway): Announcement of the Nobel Prize.
NOVEMBER / DECEMBER
- Poland: UN Conference on Climate Change.